Air Duct Cleaning After Renovation – Essential or Overrated?
Air duct cleaning and sweeping after home renovation should never be taken lightly, because you never know when there could be a giant dust bomb waiting to go into your air duct system.
Fortunately, you can take multiple steps to minimize the impact of air duct cleaning, such as sealing vents and tapping the registers (vent cover and grills) with the help of protective coverings.
However, if you have failed to cover your vents before renovations, and dust/debris has already settled in your air ducts, then take swift action to clean up the mess.
Air duct cleaning is important to ensure that your indoor air quality is healthy and safe.
If you are still unclear about the needfulness of duct cleaning, then this blog is for you. It will clear all your doubts and help you make informed decisions about air duct cleaning.
Is Cleaning Air Ducts Worth it Right After a Home Renovation?
Yes! Due to the massive amounts of dust raised during such projects, you must clean your ducts immediately after finishing a home renovation. The dust particles are very likely to become trapped in your duct, and as a result, duct cleaning is required.
So, knowing that you need duct cleaning services after renovation, here is why it’s beneficial for your home’s indoor environment.
Why Do You Need Air Duct Cleaning?
Air duct cleaning is essential for several reasons, which are mentioned below;
- Clean debris from the duct
- Prevent allergic reactions
- Increased energy efficiency
- Extended HVAC system lifespan
- Improves air quality
- Eliminates unpleasant smells
Let’s explore these reasons one-by-one in detail.
1. Clean Debris In the Duct
During renovations, a lot of debris and dust particles can become airborne and settle onto your air ducts’ surfaces. Also, these particles can release back into the home from the air duct’s supply registers.
That’s why it’s essential to make sure that your home is free of these potentially harmful substances, and you should clean your air ducts once the renovation work is completed.
2. Prevent Allergic Reactions
Dust and other allergens can accumulate in your air ducts, causing respiratory issues for some people. Cleaning the ducts can help reduce allergens and improve the overall indoor environment.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reported that there is a possibility that some of these contaminants/clogged ducts can cause allergic reactions or other symptoms in human beings if they are exposed to it.
To avoid severe health issues in this regard, you must get air duct cleaning services to prevent allergies!
3. Increased Energy Efficiency
Significant mold growth can be seen on the hard surfaces, such as sheet metal, of your air ducts or on other components of your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system. The buildup of dust and debris in the ducts makes it harder for the system to circulate air, leading to increased energy costs.
Cleaning the ducts can help improve the efficiency of your HVAC system and lower your energy bills, as per EPA reports.
4. Extended HVAC System Lifespan
Dust and dirt buildup in your air ducts can damage your HVAC system over time because they can stick to your duct surface and clog up your air filter.
Therefore, if you take air duct cleaning or HVAC repair services, you can extend your system’s life and prevent costly repairs.
5. Improves Air Quality
Over time, dust, dirt, and other contaminants can all collect in your air ducts and affect the indoor air quality. Cleaning the ducts can remove these pollutants and improve the air you breathe.
6. Eliminates Unpleasant Smells
By getting your air ducts cleaned, you can resolve several problems and improve indoor air quality. Duct cleaning can eliminate unpleasant odors from sources such as animal and insect droppings, cigarette smoke, accumulated dust, and mold.
How Air Duct Cleaning Works?
The air duct cleaning process involves these seven steps that can help get rid of contaminants like dust, dirt, and other particles.
- Inspection: The first step in air duct cleaning is to inspect the ducts to determine the extent of the contamination, and decide the appropriate cleaning method according to the needs.
- Disconnection of ducts: To clean the air ducts, the HVAC system must be turned off, and the ducts must be disconnected from the main unit.
- Clearing debris: Once the ducts are disconnected, a powerful vacuum is used to remove any debris or dust that has accumulated inside the ducts. It may include things like cobwebs, dirt, and pet hair.
- Cleaning the ducts: Next, the inside of the ducts is thoroughly cleaned using specialized tools, such as brushes and compressed air, to remove any remaining debris and contaminants.
- Reassembling the ducts: After cleaning, the ducts are reassembled, reconnected to the HVAC system, and tested!
- Final cleaning: The entire HVAC system is cleaned and vacuumed to ensure no dust or debris remains to avoid future issues!
- Sanitizing: If necessary, the ducts may be sanitized to kill mold and bacteria and deodorized to remove any unpleasant odors.
However, some specific tools are required to clean your ducts, and you should be aware of them or else it is best to hire air duct cleaners.
What Equipment Is Needed For Duct Cleaning?
Cleaning air ducts require specialized tools and equipment, which include:
- Heavy-duty gloves, mask, and goggles.
- New air filter.
- Stiff bristle brush or vent brush.
- Drill-powered duct brush.
- Powerful vacuum with a long hose.
- Power drill or a screwdriver
- Clean clothes/ paper towels or rags
- Leaf blower (optional)
Reasons Why to Avoid a DIY Air Duct Cleaning On Your Own
DIY air duct cleaning may sound like an appealing way to save money, but it is not recommended to do it on your own for several reasons.
- Lack of proper equipment to initiate the air duct cleaning, and there might be a chance you are unable to clean it properly.
- It can be dangerous, as it involves crawling into tight spaces and handling heavy equipment. If you don’t have the proper training or experience, you can put yourself at risk of injury.
- Identifying and cleaning all the areas that need special attention can be difficult.
- You may accidentally damage your ductwork while cleaning it, which can lead to leaks, lower air quality, and higher energy bills.
What to Expect from Dryer Vent Repair & Cleaning Service?
When you get the dryer vent repair from High’s Chimney, you can expect a thorough cleaning of your ducts to remove dust, debris, and other contaminants. This service will ensure that your dryer vent is functioning optimally and safely.
The process typically starts with an inspection of your ducts to assess the level of contamination and identify the areas that require special attention.
Our air duct cleaning team will use specialized tools, such as high-powered vacuum cleaners, brushes, and air compressors, to remove dust and debris from the ducts. And in some cases, sanitizer or disinfectant may be used to eliminate bacteria, mold, and other harmful contaminants.
After finalizing the cleaning, our specialists will reassemble the duct system to conduct the final inspection to ensure that the ducts are clean and free of debris.
We ensure that you are completely satisfied with the cleaning process.
Below, we are giving you a post-air duct cleaning consumer checklist, which will help you rate our services.
|General|| Did the team clean the entire HVAC system, incl. ducts, components, pans, humidifiers, coils, and fans?
Has the team adequately demonstrated duct work and plenums are clean?
|Heating||Is the surface of the heat exchanger visibly clean?|
|Cooling|| Is the cooling exchanger visibly clean?
Is the flashlight into the cooling coil? Are coil fins straight/even, is the drain pan clean/draining properly?
|Blower||Is the blower clean, the blades free of oil/debris, and the compartment free of visible dust/debris?|
|Metal Ducts||Are interior duct surfaces free of visible debris (randomly selected return/supply side)?|
|Air Vent||Are the diffusers, grilles, and registers cleaned and securely reattached?|
|System Operations||Does the system work properly in heating and cooling modes after cleaning the air duct?|
Get Your Air Ducts Cleaned With High’s Chimney Professional Sweeping Services!
In conclusion, it is imperative to have your air ducts cleaned right after home renovation to maintain a healthy and comfortable living or working environment. Cleaning air ducts helps remove dust, debris, and other contaminants, thereby improving indoor air quality and increasing the longevity of your heating and cooling system.
So if you have recently renovated your home and haven’t got the air ducts cleaned then why wait? Get professional air duct cleaning service from High’s Chimney by calling 301-519-3500 and breathe easier knowing that your home or office is healthy and comfortable.